Now in our wiki on Safe and Responsible Blogging we list these as Traits of a Successful Elementary Blogger but of course it could apply to any age student. I want to list them here so we can continue the conversation we were having last week in class. You had your thinking caps on! Now we need to work at getting our thoughts written in such a way that makes it come alive for others reading it! You can do it!
- Accept the challenge of blogging to their “personal best.” Having challenging assignments provides the opportunity for them to demonstrate higher levels of performance and successful elementary bloggers welcome that challenge.
- Show improvement on their posts (or comments) with practice and guidance from others. Posts are thoughtful and show sharpened thinking. This includes not only good content, but – because these are school-related blogs – also follows writing conventions including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Respond to posts (or comments) by others. They begin to understand the power of blogs is in their connectedness – they are connected to a larger community of ideas. They anticipate and enjoy those connections.
- Work toward including posts (or comments) that include textual references to support their opinions. They begin to add quotes or links to other works. Their voice is apparent.
- Respect others. It’s okay to disagree; it’s not okay to be disagreeable. Be respectful of others and their opinions, and be polite when you disagree.
- Dare to take responsible educational "risks" to "bump their reading, writing, thinking and blogging up several notches!"
- Celebrate their own and their peers' successes!