It's fun to take snapshots of favorite places. Did you know that you can take snapshots with writing? Your snapshots can evoke powerful images and make your writing really come alive. All you have to do is use your "senses" and write descriptive words about those "senses."
What did I hear
What did I taste or smell?
What did I feel or touch?
Brainstorm those questions that focus on the five senses. Jot descriptive phrases down for each one.
Then you have all your impressions right in front of you. You are ready to write a colorful description.
Here are questions to keep in mind as you answer the questions. It is OK to get others to help you with this - parents, friends, teachers, and others! Good writers collaborate!
- Were you specific about the place?
- Did you tell where? (just generally since we are blogging)
- Did you mention when? Was it daytime, nighttime, what year, what day, what hour? You don't have to answer all of these. Just keep the time in mind.
- Did you name some sounds, noises, actions that took place?
- Were you able to describe how things felt if you touched or felt things at your favorite place?
- How about smell or taste? Many times we associate favorite places with certain aromas or tasty foods.
- Did you use color in your descriptions?
- Did you use connecting words so your ideas flowed and made sense? Words like between, beside, near, upstairs, under. over, and any other similar words?
My next post will be a story that I compose just for you!