Kindness – being friendly, helpful and generous.
The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation defines kindness in many ways but I want to share this one definition they provided:
Kindness is empowering. Kindness is one of the most powerful interpersonal tools that we, as human beings, use to connect with one another. When we sense someone's need, we either choose to help in some way…or we choose not to. If we act from empathy, we will offer kindness, and in that moment a surprising, gracious, humanitarian connection is made. This is the positive power that each of us — including children — possesses.
I know I could not say that better!
This website is one of the best I have seen. It has so many good things on it that I thought the best way to talk about kindness would be to highlight a few of the great educational resources they provide. Teachers, I want to encourage you to take a look at it. You will find many activities that you could easily implement in your classroom.
- They have quotes at the top of the page that continually change. You will enjoy reading those. I certainly did.
- They have a teacher’s corner that is a gathering place to let everyone know what’s working in their schools.
- They have activity ideas for schools.
- It includes a KINDTIMES newsletter. Maybe we could publish one like this for J. H. House! Wow! You can even create a web site on kindness, send e-cards.
- They even provide great lesson plans. See this page for some activity ideas by academic subject. It is fantastic!
- It lists kindness-related books for students and teachers.
I want to conclude with a couple of activities I thought were quite unique.
They shared a song written about kindness. Here it is:
Let’s Be Kind
(to the tune of ‘Frere Jacques’)
Let’s be kind. Let’s be kind.
In our heart and in our mind.
To our family, to our friends.
May our kindness never end.
I really like that? Maybe you could make up a song about kindness and sing it to the tune of another. Give it a try and let’s practice random acts of kindness each day!! Share your acts of kindness! Share your songs!